July 26, 2023
CalHOPE Reaches Diverse Communities with Counseling, Referrals
Key Staff: Kim Flores, CalHOPE Project Manager
Working with 39 community organizations throughout the state, CalMHSA’s implementation of the CalHOPE Support Program (CHSP) is meeting Californians where they are and providing in-person and virtual outreach services in different ways, to diverse communities.
So far this year, the program has provided:
- Over 13,000 individual and family sessions
- Over 2,000 individuals in group counseling sessions
- Nearly 2,000 outreach events
- Sessions delivered in 44 languages representing ethnicities and races from around the world
Of those sessions:
- 38% were in person
- 62% were by text, phone or app
- 85% resulted in at least one referral for additional services
Additionally, the chat app CalHOPE Connect (www.calhopeconnect.org) has provided over 288,000 counseling sessions since it went live in March 2021. CalHOPE Connect offers safe, secure, and culturally sensitive emotional support related to stress, anxiety, and depression for all who may need it. Using the online chat app, anyone can chat with a real person via text seven days a week from 8 a.m. – midnight.